Minky Steering Wheel Cover
Skill Level: Basic
Time: 1 hour
As the days get longer and the sun gets hotter, sunburns and sweat are not the only things we have to worry about. A burning steering wheel can put a huge damper on your fun summer day. But have no fear, crafts are here. Stop the burning by creating your very own steering wheel cover. Even better, use minky fabric and your hands will feel like they’re spending a day at the spa.
• Needle/Thread or sewing machine
• Measuring tape
• 2 pieces – Minky fabric (approx. 52.5” long by 5” wide)
• 2 pieces – ¼” Wide Elastic (approx. 36.5” long)
1. Find the circumference of your steering wheel by measure around the full outside of it.
o Take the circumference and subtract 14 inches. This gives you the length of elastic you will need.
o Take the circumference and add 2 inches. This is the length of fabric you will need.
*For me, these measurements were 52.5 inches of fabric and 36.5 inches of elastic. I will use these numbers for the remainder of the tutorial, just substitute your own measurements to fit your steering wheel.
2. Cut out your fabric and elastic.
o Cut two pieces of fabric each 52.5” long by 5” wide. (Use two different colors/patterns and you have a reversible steering wheel cover!)
o Cut two pieces of elastic each 36.5” long.
* If your fabric isn’t long enough to cut the full length, just cut smaller lengths and sew them together to make the full piece.
3. Place the two strips of fabric together, faces together, so that the wrong sides are facing out. Align the two as closely together as you can. Pin the pieces down and sew up the length of each side.
4. Turn your fabric right side out.
5. Again, so along the length of each side with a seam no larger than ½”. This is where your elastic will go in the next step.
6. Once the seams are complete, insert the elastic. I did this by using a safety pin to secure one end of the elastic to the fabric and hooking another safety pin on the other end of the elastic. Then use the safety pin to help thread the elastic through the length of the fabric. Repeat on the other side.
7. Secure the elastic to the fabric by sewing down the elastic at each end and on either side.
8. Position the strips right sides together and sew along the open edge.
o I had a little extra fabric at the end of one of my strips so I used it to cover the seam. To do this, just flip the extra fabric over the seam and use a hidden stitch to sew it down.
9. Flip the whole thing right side out and you have a one of a kind steering wheel cover!
If you want to recreate this same steering wheel cover you can buy dimple dot minky from our wide selection of colors at Big Z Fabric. Click below to browse our vast collection.
Buy Now >> Dimple Dot Minky Fabric